Hearts pulled off the surprise result of the day beating Dundee United 3-0 away.

by John Reid

There were 22 goals, two superb comebacks and the end of a long unbeaten run in the SPL this week.

Motherwell stayed a point clear at the top, but they will be ruing the fact that they conceded 2 goals in the last five minutes to end up drawing 3-3 with Aberdeen.  Michael Higdon continued his goalscoring run for the ‘Well, but goals from Niall McGinn and Josh Magennis rescued a point for the Dons. Interestingly, after the game Aberdeen manager Craig Brown described Motherwell as the best team he’s faced so far this season.  Both sides have intriguing league cup ties this week, Aberdeen away to inform first division Dunfermline, whilst Motherwell travel to Rangers.

Hibs also blew a two goal lead, drawing 2-2 with Inverness. The home side missed the suspended Leigh Griffiths, but were still disappointed with two points dropped. The highlight of the game being a stunning goal from Hibs’ David Wotherspoon.  Inverness travel to Stenhousemuir in this week’s league cup.

Celtic went back to winning ways, after the midweek goalless draw with Benfica in the Champions League, with a 2-0 home win over Dundee, who were indebted to goalkeeper Rab Douglas with keeping the score down, including saving a Scott Brown penalty. Celtic are at home to Raith in the league cup this midweek.

St. Mirren were left wondering what might have been as after missing a host of chances they eventually went down 3-1 at Kilmarnock, the pick of the game’s goals a superb solo effort form Killie’s James Dayton. The Saints will be looking to bounce back against Hamilton in the league cup.

Surprise result of the weekend came at Tannadice where Hearts shrugged off problems with paying the players’ wages to beat Dundee United 3-0, with two goals coming from 17 year old Callum Paterson.  United face a tricky midweek tie with Queen of the South whilst Hearts are at home to Livingston.

St. Johnstone ended Ross County’s proud 40 match unbeaten league run with a fine 2-1 win in Dingwall, the winner coming late on from Frazer Wright. The result was even more impressive as Rowan Vine was sent-off for the Perth side after half an hour.  St. Johnstone are at home to Queen’s Park in midweek.

In the first division, Partick Thistle continued their 100% run with a hard-fought 2-1 over Cowndenbeath. Dunfermline stay 3 points behind after beating Livingston 3-0.

Queen of the South followed their Ramsden’s cup win over Rangers with a 3-0 win at Brechin to stay top of the second division.  Forfar stay second, 3 points behind.

In the third division Rangers rebounded from their defeat to Queen of the South by beating Montrose 4-1, but remain a point behind league leaders Queen’s Park, who defeated Elgin 4-0.