Carlsberg conducted a review of 2014 to celebrate the Carlsberg Fan Squad Festive Football Calendar and the alternative Christmas Day message. The message to the nation will see Jeff Stelling look back over a bumper year of football with his Boxing Day review. Grab your cold Turkey sandwiches and check it out at CarlsbergFanSquad.co.uk.
Before then however there’s a small matter of their fan survey – the most comprehensive in recent times with over 1500 participants – that reveal some startling findings.
• England fans have voted traditional rivals Germany their ‘second team’
• Germany’s 7-1 demolition of Brazil was the top football moment of 2014
• Luis Suarez was voted the fan’s player of 2014
• Rooney’s half-way volley against West Ham named fan’s goal of 2014
• Man City 6 Arsenal 3 voted Barclays Premier League fan’s game of 2014
• Carlsberg’s very own Jeff Stelling is the nation’s favourite football pundit
• Liverpool fans vote Gary Neville ahead of Jamie Carragher as top pundit
A further surprising discovery is that 54% of Manchester City fans are actually backing Chelsea to win the league this term compared to 44% who are backing their own team. Surely this is proof the blue half of Manchester are as grounded – even as pessimistic – as ever?
The category that intrigued us the most though was the most vocal away support. In the increasingly sterile environments of games it is often the away fans who are entrusted to fire some atmosphere into proceedings and so those at the top duly deserve recognition.
1st – Manchester United
2nd – Newcastle United
3rd – Liverpool
4th – Crystal Palace
5th – Chelsea
6th – Manchester City
7th – Arsenal
8th – West Ham
9th – Southampton
10th – Stoke
Carlsberg is the official beer of the Barclays Premier League